I think I could easily eat pasta every single day of my life without a single complaint. Think about it, it’s the ultimate comfort food and there are literally hundreds of different ways to make it. Although pasta is delicious it’s definitely not a meal that should be eaten frequently, especially for those trying to monitor their carb intake like me.
A few months ago I was parading around my kitchen looking for the necessary ingredients to make traditional pesto sauce but I was out of luck, and had zero desire to go to the grocery store. I needed to improvise! After a little trial and error I ended up creating my new favorite pasta sauce that’s quite tasty and nutritious.
The following recipe is my vegan friendly superfood “pesto pasta.”
Total prep time: 25 minutes
- Noodles ( I use whole wheat or egg noodles)
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1/2 celery stick
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts (optional)
- Cilantro (as much as desired)
- 2 avocados
- 10 basil leaves
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil
- 1/3 cup of water
- Start by boiling your noodles and add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil, a pinch of salt and pepper to your boiling water.
- Dice avocados and put in your food processer or blender with your basil leaves, chopped up celery, garlic cloves, a pinch of salt and pepper, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil, cilantro, 1/3 cup of water and pine nuts.
- Blend ingredients for the sauce until you get a nice and smooth consistency.
- Mix your sauce with your noodles and your quinoa.
- Top it off with your brocolli and mushrooms or any of your other favorite vegetables.
This sauce does not have to be used solely for pasta, but can also be used as a dip for veggies, tortilla chips, bread, and even pita chips.
As always, let me know if you tried the recipe out and whether you enjoyed it or not. 🙂