Like most Americans, I am a BIG fan of ice cream. After a long day sometimes you just need to stop by the grocery store and pick up a pint or two of you favorite Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, turn on the TV and indulge in that sweet frosty goodness! But as tasty as ice cream is, most of it is loaded with sugars, carbs, and fats. In fact ice cream is considered a high-fat food since it must contain more than 10% milk fat to be considered ice cream. So if you’re like me and you have a sweet tooth but you’re also trying to monitor the amount of sugar and fats you consume then you’re probably seeking an alternative.
I stumbled upon this recipe for this 100% organic and vegan friendly banana “ice cream,” a few months ago and I decided to add my own twist to it and I’ve been hooked ever since. It’s easy to make and you’ll be sure to please your vegan, non-vegan, lactose intolerant, and health conscious dinner guests! Plus it makes a great alternative to the delicious dessert.
- Cutting board
- Ziplock bag or freezer safe container
- Food processor or blender
- Spoon or spatula
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Slice bananas and place them in a freezer safe container and freeze until solid.
- Mix frozen bananas, coconut milk, and cinnamon in blender or food processor on medium until you get a thick and creamy consistency.
- Place in bowl and top it off with your favorite fruits, sweets, or nuts. I personally like to sprinkle coconut flakes and a little bit of cinnamon and honey on top.
- Serve cold and enjoy! 🙂
- If you enjoy a smooth custard like texture you can serve the “ice cream,” instantly but if you’re looking for a thicker more “ice cream like,” texture pour your mix into a freezer friendly container and freeze two hours before serving.
Try it out and let me know if you enjoyed the recipe! I love getting feedback.