With 2017 coming to an end and 2018 quickly approaching us, I decided to look back at my new years resolution list to see if I’ve followed through with the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. I wrote down over 50 new resolutions which included small goals like saying “I love you,” more to my loved ones to major life changing decisions like going skydiving. I haven’t been skydiving yet, partially because I’m a bit of a pansy and partially due to the fact that I simply do not have the time, but it’s mainly because I’m a wuss and the thought of jumping over 12,000 feet from the air completely terrifies me. Now I know I set some pretty drastic goals which I was unable to complete this year but I still plan on completing at some point in my life, however I also set reasonable goals that I was able to follow through on, and for that I’m pretty proud of myself – it’s okay to celebrate the small victories in life, in fact I encourage you all to.
One goal that I set for myself was to research and educate myself on products that test on animals. Personally, I find animal testing to be unethical, cruel, inhumane and bad for the environment but that’s just my opinion and you’re absolutely entitled to think otherwise. Back to the subject at hand, I wanted to transform my skincare routine into a cruelty free one. Luckily for me this wasn’t terribly difficult because a majority of the products that I’ve used since I was a preteen have been all natural and cruelty free for the most part besides a few lotions and haircare products. My goal wasn’t to just go out and buy a bunch of organic and cruelty free products to use, I needed them to actually work for my skin and thus a period trial and error ensued. I purchased a few products from Whole Foods and a few from Amazon to begin my cruelty free journey but of course some worked better than others and some seemed to cost an arm and a leg while others were very reasonably priced.
When looking for new products for your skin, I think it’s very important to get to know your skin and become one with it. After all it is the biggest organ of the human body and it deserves to be loved and cared for. I’ve gotten to know my skin pretty well throughout my life, I know that I have VERY dry skin which gets red and patchy when I don’t moisturize properly or if I don’t drink enough water. I have sensitive skin, so if I ever touch my face without washing my hands first I can expect to find a pimple there the next morning. I also get white patches if I don’t use sunscreen every single day- rain or shine! I’ve also tried countless products for my skin which seemed to work just fine for a few weeks, and then I’d either breakout or I’d see patches of dry flaky skin. After years of trial and error, I think I’ve finally found my go-to products that have not only worked wonders, but I’m confident in knowing that I’m not contributing to the world of animal testing.
This post is a bit of a skincare routine but it’s mainly to share honest reviews on products that I love and believe can work for you too!
- Face Wash- I use the cucumber milk facial cleanser by Lather. I absolutely love this facial cleanser! It’s gentle, has a very light scent and it gets the job done! The cucumber, aloe and antioxidant-rich sea algae cleanse your skin while gently lifting away any impurities and the oat protein and sweet almond oil moisturize the skin. This product is free of parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, synthetic fragrances and colors and is not tested on animals. You can purchase this cleanser from Amazon by clicking the hyperlink above.
- Facial Toner- I use a toner every other day directly after washing my face. I apply it gently with a little cotton pad and wait for it to dry before applying my moisturizer. The Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner is a lifesaver. I love how faintly scented the product is, but it’s also really gentle in comparison to most toners that contain alcohol.
- Moisturizer- The Era Organics moisturizer is hands down my favorite product that I discovered in 2017! As I mentioned above, I have super dry skin and I’ve had a hard time finding a moisturizer that didn’t wear off in less than an hour. I used to carry a small bottle of face cream with me everywhere I went to reapply whenever I felt my skin dry up. I discovered the Era moisturizer and I’m never going back! I apply this bad boy in the morning and at night and I’m good to go! No need to reapply numerous times a day. It’s soft and gentle and leaves your skin looking f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!
- Body Lotion – The Alba Botanica body lotion is everything you could ever want in a moisturizer and more. From the beachy summery scent to it’s airy properties this item is my go-to during all four seasons. The cocoa butter & tropically emollient oils nourish dry skin while leaving you smelling sweet and fresh.
- Sunscreen- I believe everyone should use sunscreen every single day. Sunscreen isn’t just a necessity during the hot summer days, but it’s essential even when the sun isn’t out. A lot of generic sunscreen lotions contain loads of chemicals, but the Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen Lotion is just what you need to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays without feeling like there’s a thick layer of product on your face. This product is biodegradable, gluten-free and offers broad spectrum protection with aloe vera, sunflower oil and tropical fruit extracts!
- For the unexpected pimple- We all get them and there’s no shame but there’s nothing worse than waking up and looking at yourself in the mirror to find a huge crater on your forehead. Well, fear not because the Desert Essence Kinder to Skin Tea Tree Oil is just what you need for those unexpected visitors. Desert Essence has a variety of tea tree oils that are distilled differently. Tea tree oil is really powerful and can sometimes irritate the skin if you use a strong form of it. Because I have sensitive skin, I use their Kinder To Skin product which is more distilled to treat a pimple gently!
- Deodorant- Now this is one part of my hygiene routine that I have struggled with for years because I’ve only ever used organic and aluminum free deodorants but they wear off very quickly and therefore are pretty ineffective. I finally found a product that is natural, aluminum free, cruelty free, and organic that actually works perfectly fine for me. The Schmidt’s Deodorant smells great, doesn’t leave any white stains under your armpits and the best part is that it LASTS ALL DAY! Even on days where I’m sweating profusely, I don’t need to reapply this product.
Just like most things in life, you need to take care of your body from the inside out. This includes drinking enough water, exercising, eating fruits and vegetables and making sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs not only so you look good, but so you feel good too! There’s no magical product in the world that will replace proper hydration and nutrition.
Before buying anything be sure that you’ve had a chance to get to know your skin. What works wonders for someone with oily skin, may end up messing with someone who suffers from very dry skin. Find out what type of skin you have before tossing out all of your current skincare products and buying new ones.
As always, if you start to use any of the items I shared with you please let me know how they worked for you!
Disclaimer: I am not a dermatologist and I would advise speaking to one before switching up your skincare routine.